Mashobra is a town in the Himachal Pradesh state of India. It is located in the Chamba district at an elevation of 2,237 metres above sea level. It is a beautiful hill station and is one of the most popular places in this state.
Being surrounded by dense forests and alpine meadows it offers plenty of opportunities to explore nature. The flora here includes flowering plants like oak, rhododendron, maple, and pine and also wildflowers like primrose and buttercups. The fauna consists mostly of bears, leopards and sambhar deer apart from other mammals like wolves or langur monkeys.
Mashobra is known for its many tourist destinations like Staircase Falls and Devasthali Temple. Which attract many foreign tourists every year to this small town near Manali and Chandigarh. Mashobra is on the Manali-Chandigarh highway.
One of the state’s best-known mini-zoo with a few hundred animals of a wide variety. The animal kingdom includes guinea pigs, monkeys, bears, wolves and many others. The museum has an added attraction of rare birds; There are also various types of peacocks and parrots of different sizes. From the smallest budgie to huge macaws, parakeets and other colourful species.
Climate and Weather of Mashobra
The weather remains pleasant throughout the year. Summers are in April, May and June and are generally hot and dry. Winters are in December, January and February, which can be cold at night. Snowfall is rare here but it does happen once in a while during January – February!
Best Time to Visit
May – October is the best time to visit Mashobra. Similarly, the monsoon season is in June, July and August. And the temperatures can rise to 45 degrees Celsius even in the mornings.
Mashobra is home to white-cheeked pintails, storks and kingfishers also. Also, one can catch a glimpse of deers and bears roaming around freely.
There is also a small deer park in the town. The place also houses an education and animal care centre. That can be visited by arranging an appointment in advance over the phone.
There are many such places as Mashobra which will be surely visited by tourists at least once before they die. As it also has some of the best scenery in the Himalayas.
The town is adorned with the evergreen Deodar and Pine trees, the aroma of which lingers in the air. There is a huge walking area along the Beas river which keeps anyone at peace. The scenic beauty of the place makes it a heavenly destination for honeymooners as well as couples.
The flora here consists of flowering plants like oak, rhododendron, maple, and pine and wildflowers like primrose and buttercups. In fact, the fauna has leopards and bears apart from other mammals like wolves.
Activities To Do In Mashobra
- Floating Market: The floating market in Mashobra is visited by a large number of Indian and foreign tourists. It is the famous bazaar of the town where all sorts of goods are sold by floating hawkers on boats. It is situated on Beas-Mashobra Ghat Road.
- Rafting: This activity can be enjoyed here in abundance. The Beas River is considered one of the best rivers for rafting in India. There are about 135 rapids, which are moderate to hard in nature and very challenging for rafting lovers also. Rafting along this river starts from a place called ‘Lakkar Bridge’ and ends at “Majhi village”.
- Alpine Trekking: There are several routes for amateur and pro mountain climbers to choose from. The best time to visit the area is from April to October, because of less number of tourists. One can choose from “Mashobra Treks”, “Chamba Treks” or “Bhuntar Treks”.
- Fishing: Fishermen can enjoy fishing in this area because the area has several fish resources that attract many tourists. The best season to come here for fishing is from October to February.
Places To Visit In Mashobra
Reserve Forest Sanctuary
This forest sanctuary is located in the middle of Pathankot District. It is about 10 km from Mashobra. The reserve covers 1,440 hectares and is known for its dense forest cover, rich flora and fauna. The area was earlier a part of the famous Chamba State, which was annexed to British rule in 1853. The area still has much of that old character. The reserve was declared as a sanctuary in 1951 and is also known for its rich fauna.
Staircase Waterfalls: Chadwick Falls
This is a tourist attraction located near Mashobra which adds charm to the place. It is about 25 km away from Mashobra. The best time to visit this place is in the rainy season. When the waterfall turns into a grand spectacle with tumbling water and crashing rocks. Moreover, if you are lucky! You may also get to see a few wild monkeys playing around close to the fall. The waterfall cascades down over big boulders, creating more than 100 small pools along the way. Which forms the attraction of this place.
The Presidential Retreat
Architectural Marvel is Formerly known as Dalhousie Palace. “The Presidential Retreat” was designed in 1863 by the British architect A.B.Trewdrell. In collaboration with Sir James Johnstone Leach, the “Diwan of the Chamba State”. The palace is located on top of a high hill and overlooks the entire city of Mashobra. The main palace is surrounded by several other beautiful palaces including some temples. And within the premises are lush green gardens & fountains. Moreover, it has been heritage-listed by the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH).
It is about 150 km from Chandigarh, 17 km from Pathankot, and 50 km from Manali. It is situated at an altitude of 1,200 m above sea level. The river flows through the town and has a total catchment area. Moreover, this place is famous for its hot sulphur springs. The hot sulphur waters are mainly used by the locals for medicinal purposes and to cure skin diseases also. One can also opt for various other activities like swimming in the river and visiting the nearby temples.
Mahasu Devta Temple
This temple is situated in the hamlet of Mahasu in the Chamba District. It is about 20 km away from Mashobra. It is believed that Mahasu Devta promises anything asked for. Therefore, it is also known as ‘The God of Answers’. Some people also believe that it is the house of the Bhairavi Goddess, who was worshipped by Rishi Jaimini. Moreover, it is one of the ancient temples in Himachal Pradesh and dates back to 1700 AD. The temple has a Garuda Pillar on the outside symbolising Garuda Vahana (vehicle). With Bhairavi Devi seated on top, heeding her husband sage Jaimini’s instructions.
Lakkar Bazaar is situated in the centre of the town. In this bazaar, one can find anything and everything. The place is known for its colourful wares and crafts. Which include “Pashmina shawls”, Himachal “china”, Himachali hand-knitted caps, “jamawar” suits and “ponchos”. There are also shops selling dyes, spices, local herbs & roots. Floaters sell their wares under a big tree in this market. The shaded place under this tree adds to the charm of the market. Another thing that attracts people to this market is its small eateries which sell tasty local food at reasonable rates.
Mashobra is well-connected by air and road. The nearest airport is at Kullu, about 15 km away. And the nearest international airport is Chandigarh, about 105 km away. Manali, Chandigarh, Rohtang Pass and Bilaspur are the major cities near Mashobra. There are daily buses to these cities from Mashobra Bus Station. Also, there are two-wheelers (bicycle riders) who rent out bikes to tourists. For a small fee or even take you on a tour!
There are various kinds of accommodation available for tourists in Mashobra. Finally, the best way for a tourist to enjoy stay is to hire a cottage or a room for rent. Once you get one you probably would not want to move out! Some basic amenities like bedding, tableware & other things like a clock, chair, dressing table etc. May be there but generally one must provide their linen and other necessities.
- Dubai and Dubai Frame: An Experience of the FutureDubai is a city located in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), on the southeast coast of the Persian…
- Best Treks to do in India in Summer 2023The Indian Himalayas offer a diverse range of trekking options for adventure enthusiasts, with varied landscapes and unique…
- Best Tourist Places to Visit in Kerala for YoungstersKerala is located on the southwestern coast of India and is known for its picturesque landscapes, tranquil backwaters,…
- Know About The Best Of Ranthambore Through Ranthambore Tour PackagesRanthambore is a popular destination for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. This beautiful national park is located in…
- Kingfisher Beer Alcohol Percentage- Pricing In IndiaSeveral factors contribute to the Kingfisher beer alcohol percentage or any given beer. These include both the type…