Lotus stem is a type of vegetable from the lotus family. This vegetable can be found in various markets, but it is most common in Asian markets. Lotus stem is a popular ingredient used in Chinese cuisine and Korean cuisine, and it has a crunchy texture that people often enjoy because it complements the soft texture of other foods. It can be eaten raw or boiled, and you can use this item to make stir-fries, salads, fried rice dishes, and more.
In this blog post, I will talk about what lotus stems are and how to prepare them so they are suitable for different types of recipes.
What Are Lotus Stems?
Lotus stems are linear succulent plants. To identify these plants, people should look at the bottom of the stem as well as the leaves. The stem of the lotus is tough and looks like a twig, and it is sticky like gum. Even if you cut one into several pieces, the pieces will still stick together because of their adhesion qualities.
These kinds of plants are usually found in cold climates and can be found in places such as the Himalayas and mountainous regions. China, Japan, Vietnam, and Korea are among some countries where they can be found that use lotus stems in food.
How to Prepare Lotus Stems
Lotus stem can be prepared in various ways depending on how you want to prepare it. If you wish to use those for different types of recipes, then the best way to prepare them is by boiling. Before cooking, make sure that the stem is fresh and clean. These stems will not stain or discolour after boiling since they are made up of gelatinous substances. You also need to soak these stems in some water to remove any dust that could cling onto them. And once you have prepared them, you can use them on salads or as garnishes.
What are the Interesting Facts about Lotus Stems?
Lotus stems have a lot of nutritional value. Lotus stems are made up of sugars, proteins, and carbohydrates, and they have some amounts of vitamins and minerals. Most people use it for preparing soups or salads because their texture can complement foods better than other vegetables. It also has a lot of minerals that can help treat infection and offer protection against ageing. Some studies even suggest that the skin can be used as an ingredient in certain beauty products. And the stem is also an excellent source of iron when compared to other kinds of iron-rich vegetables including spinach and kale.
Simple Recipe Of Lotus Stem:
- 1 pound of fresh lotus stem
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1/4 cup of sliced green onion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil for cooking or a little bit more if you prefer very crispy and browned stems. You can also use vegetable or peanut oil for frying.
- A few drops of sesame oil for garnishing. You can also use some coarse grain salt. Preparation Instructions:
How to Make the Dish?
- Wash the lotus stem with cold water and remove any dirt from it. Make sure to clean and remove all the dirt from the stem. If there is any dirt left on it, you will have a tougher time cutting them into pieces later on. And if you are planning to use them in soups or salads, then you will have a hard time removing them later on when they have already been cooked and softened. Rinse off those stems thoroughly with cold water and then pat dry them before cooking them.
- Cut off the hard, white bottom of the stems. You need to use some kitchen shears to cut off the white bottom part of the stems. Then use a knife to make vertical cuts down the sides of your stems so that you have shorter pieces in a long piece. You need to make vertical cuts because you will be frying this vegetable and they will crisp up better if they are cut vertically rather than horizontally. Afterwards, put them in a bowl and toss them with your sesame oil, sesame seeds, soy sauce, green onion, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat your grill or pan for cooking your lotus stem pieces. Fry them up in olive oil until they are nice and crispy. And you can also use a frying pan to fry this piece in. Fry them until they become golden brown and crispy.
Lotus stems that have been fried in the oven become softer and less crunchy; but when cooked on the grill, they are crunchy again, so I prefer to keep it simple. Add some soy sauce, sesame oil, and grated sesame seeds for some extra taste since sesame seeds compliment lotus stems well.
Benefits Of eating Lotus Stem
~It Is Low In Calories And Fat
Lotus stems have a lot of nutritional value and are low in calories and fat. Most of these stems have a lot of carbohydrates, and this is the part that provides you with your energy. You need to consume them slowly so your body can digest them well. This vegetable will give you the energy that you need because it has a lot of sugar in it that will keep you energized throughout the day.
~Has Anti-inflammatory Properties
Lotus stems contain a lot of antioxidants, and they have anti-inflammatory properties that can be helpful for your body in several ways. Antioxidants will prevent the oxidation process, and this will help you fight diseases as well as reduce the pain and swelling that comes with these conditions. Some people use lotus stems to treat various kinds of body pains because their anti-inflammatory properties are very effective at doing so.
~Reduce Risk Of Cancer
Lotus stem has some anti-carcinogenic substances in it that can help prevent cancer from forming in your body when you consume them regularly.
~Rich In Antioxidants
Lotus stems contain a lot of powerful antioxidants and they are also rich in vitamins. A lot of people prefer to use these stems because they are rich in vitamins, and they have antioxidant properties that can help fight free radicals that can harm your body.
~Good Alternative To Juicing
Lotus stems are good if you want some alternative to juicing if you do not like the taste of certain fruits, or if you do not have them. You can add them to your favourite juices to create a new flavour. Add it to juices such as pineapple, lemon, or grapefruit juices for added nutrients and taste.
- 9+ Amazing Things to do in Udaipur at nightIf you prefer the night as your preferred time to travel and explore new places you want to visit, you’re…
- 11+ Lip-smacking Gujarati Snacks for MunchingHey there! Gujarat is a region in Western India that sits on the coast of the Arabian Sea. It’s known…
- 8 Reasons Why Valley of Flowers Should Be In Your Bucket List“Valley of Flowers” – Who knew the result of a lost route would lead to the discovery of this unique…
- Places to Visit with Kids in Summer from Delhi in 2022Here is a hand-picked list of places to visit with kids this summer. They say life changes after kids. Well,…
- Gwalior Fort- History, Architecture, Light & Sound ShowThis blog post is about the Gwalior Fort. Its history, architecture and design are detailed. It is amongst the most…